First Time Buyer – Home Owner Grant – (FHOG)

Are you eligible for the FHOG?

You are suitable for the Australian Government’s First Home Owner Grant if you:

* Are an Australian citizen or permanent resident
* Are buying or building your first home in Australia
* Have the intention of occupying the property as your principal place of residence within 12 months of the settlement.

Other things to consider:

If you are purchasing the property in conjunction with others, they must also meet the same criteria for the Grant to be relevant.

If you’re eligible you can receive the Grant regardless of your income, the area in which you are planning to buy or build, or the value of your first home. The Grant is not means tested and no tax is payable on it.

It’s a great leg up to help you get into your first home, and your Mortgage Choice broker can help submit your application.

Still wondering what its all about?

The FAQs below may help answer your key questions. And don’t forget, your Mortgage Choice broker can help you with your application and further information.

What is the First Home Owner Grant (FHOG)?

The FHOG scheme is a national scheme funded by the Federal Government, but administered through each state or territory Revenue Office. The grant offers first home buyers $7,000 towards their first home.

Who is eligible for the grant?

To be eligible for the grant, you must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia. You must be buying or building your first home in Australia and you must have the intention of living in the home as your primary residence within 12 months of settlement. There are no restriction as to your income or the area in which you plan to buy or build. Nor are there restrictions regarding the value of the property. However, if you are planning to purchase your first home with another person, you must both meet the eligibility requirements to receive the grant.

There are other factors that may also be relevant, so be sure to speak with a Mortgage Choice Consultant.

How do I apply for the grant?

In most cases the lenders are able to act as agents for the Revenue Office and your Mortgage Choice Consultant can help you complete the relevant forms as part of the home loan application.

This allows the First Home Owner Grant funds to be available at settlement or at the first progress payment if you are building your home.

If you apply directly to the Revenue Office funds will not be available until after settlement or completion of the home if you are building.

Are there other First Home Owner grants or concessions available?

In addition to the grant available from the Federal Government there are a number of state initiatives aimed at making your first home more affordable. To find out what concessions are available in your state or territory contact your Mortgage Choice Consultant.

Comments on this entry are closed.